Re: Converting GCC to compilation with C++

Tom Tromey wrote:

I would say I'm still a couple months away from putting gcjx on a
branch on gcc.gnu.org.  The code for lowering to GENERIC doesn't even
compile yet.

Oh dear. Gcjx gives me an excuse to procastinate about supporting --enable-mapped-location for Java. Unfortunately, it not just a question of adding code to use line-maps - it also involves getting rid a lot of the old code, including EXPR_WITH_FILE_LOCATION.

We may end up having to decide between 3 Java front-ends:
(1) the existing C-based front-end;
(2) Tom's gcjx, written in C++; or
(3) Eclipse's ecj (?), written in Java.  (The obvious advantage
is that they've implemented a lot of the JDK 1.5 (now Java 5) support.
But integrating a front-end written in Java will not be easy, either.)

So I don't know how much effort to put into --enable-mapped-location
handing for jc1!
--
	--Per Bothner