Converting GCC to compilation with C++

Nathan asked what the SC made of his proposal to use (a subset of) C++ for compiling GCC.

There's been no formal decision, but it looks like the discussion has pretty well wound down into a stalemate. Many of the members seemed open to the idea, but some suggested that we should demonstrate some major improvement derived from using C++ on a branch before making a decision.

In addition, RMS stated that the use of C++ was unacceptable for the GNU Project, at least for programs that are presently written in C. Let's please not discuss this here; whether you agree or disagree, please contact RMS directly, or find a GNU discussion group somewhere -- this list is for things to do with GCC.

Nobody seemed to object with making modifications to the source so that it could be compiled
with a C++ compiler, which is a first step in any event, so I think people should feel free to proceed with that.

For now, it looks like we'll stick with ISO C.

--
Mark Mitchell
CodeSourcery, LLC