Re: compatibility Clarification

Mark Mitchell writes:

> Who is the Tru64 maintainer?  Or is there one?

I don't think we have a specific Tru64 maintainer, at least none is listed
in MAINTAINERS.  There `only' Richard Henderson as the maintainer of the
alpha port, but he may well have been somewhat overwhelmed by all his other
tasks lately.

>   http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-patches/2001-02/msg01448.html
>
> I don't think the autoconf test is worth it here.  I *would* just
> hard-code the OS numbers for which the -oldas flag is needed.  Also,
> if we cannot build on V5.0a because of this issue, then we should have
> documentation in the installation document for that.

Ok, I could do this (or just hardcode the use of -oldas in alpha/osf5.h),
since it's needed in V5.1 (and up, probably).  We can always provide a
specific test later if Compaq releases a fixed adu whose output mips-tfile
can deal with.

Richard had some reservations about using -oldas at all:

but unfortunately it's the only option right now.

I'll post a new patch once it's clear what route to follow here.

>   http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-patches/2001-02/msg01451.html
>
> It is certainly bogus to have an explicit declaration of `strlen' like
> that in libobjc.  This patch is OK.  Do you have write privileges so
> that you can apply this one?

No, I don't.  I've contacted Ovidiu Predescu (and gcc-patches) when I
noticed this patch only went on the trunk, but no reply yet:

>   http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-bugs/2001-03/msg00281.html
>
> Please send mail to libstdc++@gcc.gnu.org.  I am sorry that you
> haven't gotten a reply yet.  Please indicate that this is a regression
> from GCC 2.95 as you mention.

Ok, I'll try again.  Unfortunately, there are serious problems with the
current dejagnu based testsuite which links all tests with -static (PR
libstdc++/2841).

>   http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-patches/2001-04/msg00607.html
>
> Revise the patch as you suggest and repost it, copying Alexandre Oliva
> <aoliva@redhat.com>.  Alexandre can approve configuration patches.

Ok, will do.

Thanks.

	Rainer

Rainer Orth, Faculty of Technology, Bielefeld University

Email: ro@TechFak.Uni-Bielefeld.DE