Re: compatibility Clarification

Alexandre Oliva <aoliva@redhat.com> writes:

> On May 22, 2001, Madhu Srinivasan <madhu.srinivasan@oracle.com> wrote:

> > complications that i may encounter while installation.
>
> > hpux -11
> > compaq -5.1
>
> Bear in mind that GCC 2.95.3, the latest release, doesn't support
> these systems.  GCC 3.0 will.

unfortunately, while Tru64 UNIX V5.0 and V5.0A will probably work, this is
not true for Tru64 UNIX V5.1 ;-)  I've submitted several patches to fix
this, but they haven't been reviewed yet:

* http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-patches/2001-02/msg01448.html

  Force gcc to use old assembler until Compaq releases one that works
  properly with mips-tfile.

* http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-patches/2001-02/msg01451.html

  Avoid compilation failure in libobjc.  Applied to trunk, but not to
  branch yet.

* http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-bugs/2001-03/msg00281.html

  Initial port of libstdc++ v3 to Tru64 UNIX.  Necessary so it compiles at
  all on any version of Tru64 UNIX.  Since libstdc++ v2 worked in gcc
  2.95/Tru64 UNIX V4.0, this represents a regression from gcc 2.95 ;-(

* http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-patches/2001-04/msg00213.html

  Necessary define to get proper long double support.

* http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-patches/2001-04/msg00607.html

  Allows bootstrapping with Compaq C V6.3 cc, which has a built-in _Bool
  type.  Needs an update to AC_DEFINE HAVE_STDBOOL_H and HAVE__BOOL to 1,
  though.

	Rainer

Rainer Orth, Faculty of Technology, Bielefeld University

Email: ro@TechFak.Uni-Bielefeld.DE