This is the mail archive of the gcc@gcc.gnu.org mailing list for the GCC project.


Index Nav: [Date Index] [Subject Index] [Author Index] [Thread Index]
Message Nav: [Date Prev] [Date Next] [Thread Prev] [Thread Next]
Other format: [Raw text]

Re: [RFC] Enabling loop unrolls at -O3?


Giovanni Bajo wrote:
Steven Bosscher <stevenb@suse.de> wrote:


I guess the issue is what does "huge" mean, it is hard to discuss based
on loaded adjectives taking the place of data :-)

Huge here means 15-20% on x86* hosts.


I don't consider this huge for -O3. I think -O3 can be slower if it achieves
better code, and -funroll-loops makes it do just that.

I would certainly agree, I am not sure I even find it huge for -O2. After all 20% compile time represents a couple of months advance in computer hardware (and that is true across the board, even if you are talking about upgrading 1990 hardware to 1991 hardware :-))


Index Nav: [Date Index] [Subject Index] [Author Index] [Thread Index]
Message Nav: [Date Prev] [Date Next] [Thread Prev] [Thread Next]