This is the mail archive of the gcc@gcc.gnu.org mailing list for the GCC project.


Index Nav: [Date Index] [Subject Index] [Author Index] [Thread Index]
Message Nav: [Date Prev] [Date Next] [Thread Prev] [Thread Next]
Other format: [Raw text]

Re: [RFC] Enabling loop unrolls at -O3?


Steven Bosscher wrote:

One reason why it's not enabled is because it causes a huge compile time
regression.

For the majority of Ada applications, as opposed to specific bench marks, we see little gain in -O2 over -O1 in any case, although that's for GCC 3.4 and it is always possible that GCC 4 is qualitatively different in this respect (I doubt it, optimizations are always less significant in real applications than you hope). Thus -O1 seems the general best choice if compile time is an issue. I think it is reasonable to figure that -O2 means I want good performance regardless of compile time.

I guess the issue is what does "huge" mean, it is hard to discuss based
on loaded adjectives taking the place of data :-)


Index Nav: [Date Index] [Subject Index] [Author Index] [Thread Index]
Message Nav: [Date Prev] [Date Next] [Thread Prev] [Thread Next]