This is the mail archive of the gcc@gcc.gnu.org mailing list for the GCC project.


Index Nav: [Date Index] [Subject Index] [Author Index] [Thread Index]
Message Nav: [Date Prev] [Date Next] [Thread Prev] [Thread Next]
Other format: [Raw text]

Re: Converting GCC to compilation with C++


On Jul 13, 2004, at 3:31 PM, Tom Tromey wrote:

"Joe" == Joe Buck <Joe.Buck@synopsys.COM> writes:

Joe> I think I'll let it go at that, as there's not much use in starting a
Joe> language war just yet. That can wait until Tom Tromey asks us to accept
Joe> his C++ rewrite of the Java front end, gcjx.
Joe> http://sourceforge.net/projects/gcjx/


I've read this thread with some dismay, since most of the C++ features
people want to reject (templates, MI, exceptions, operator
overloading) are in fact used in gcjx :-/.

For what it's worth, not everyone wants to reject those features. One of the main reasons I think C++ would be a better implementation language than C is that I'd rather use std::vector and std::list than varray or TREE_LIST or TREE_VECTOR.


But again, this strikes me as a fairly academic issue. Irrespective of technical merit, I don't see a switch to C++ (or Java, or ML, or whatever) happening any time soon.

--Matt


Index Nav: [Date Index] [Subject Index] [Author Index] [Thread Index]
Message Nav: [Date Prev] [Date Next] [Thread Prev] [Thread Next]