Re: GCC to open the C++ demangle API?

On Mon, Mar 04, 2002 at 07:01:41PM +0000, John Levon wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 04, 2002 at 12:18:29PM -0500, Phil Edwards wrote:
>
> > I'm not sure what John meant when he said that linking against libiberty is
> > not allowed, either.  The demangling routines are under the GPL, and their
> > API will not be changing (trust me, I accidentally broke this for a few days
> > recently, lots of programs noticed).  You're free to link against libiberty.
>
> This is in direct contradiction to what the binutils list told me last
> week (and indeed what they said to someone reporting that the
> cplus_demangle wasn't in the installed libiberty headers).
>
> In fact I was told in able to do binary work, I needed to include
> something of the order of 13Mb of source in my application (libbfd +
> libiberty).

I did not say that the interface of the two demangling functions
wouldn't change.  Functions get added to libiberty fairly often, but
rarely change or disappear.  That makes depending on an installed
version somewhat tricky.

> I didn't get a satisfactor answer for why it's not approved - they
> mentioned that BIC is broken for libbfd every week or so, which is
> hardly a problem, unless my users are upgrading every week to new
> binutils (which they are not).

It is if they have a different copy installed than you built against!
We don't install linkable versions of the shared library for a reason.
(At least I think we don't.)