Re: GCC to open the C++ demangle API?

On Mon, Mar 04, 2002 at 04:25:49PM +0000, Andrew Marlow wrote:
> levon@movementarian.org writes:
> >On Mon, Mar 04, 2002 at 10:48:03AM +0000, Andrew Marlow wrote:
> >
> >> There does not appear to be a public API for demangling C++ symbol
> >> names with the GNU C++ compiler. The code is there in binutils because
> >> c++filt uses it. However, the API has not been 'opened'.
> [snip]
> >Of course you could just link to the platform libiberty and use
> >cplus_demangle as usual there ... (but this is not "allowed")
>
> Indeed. That's what I meant when I said that the API has not been opened.

That doesn't really clarify things...

> I have received other email that says 'just use libiberty'. However I do
> not want to use an API that has not been opened.

You're using "opened" in a way that doesn't make a whole lot of sense.
I'm not sure what John meant when he said that linking against libiberty is
not allowed, either.  The demangling routines are under the GPL, and their
API will not be changing (trust me, I accidentally broke this for a few days
recently, lots of programs noticed).  You're free to link against libiberty.

Perhaps you're worried about GPL/LGPL issues.  That's a huge political issue;
we'd like the code to be LGPL, but the FSF disagrees for now.  At the moment,
if you call the run-time demangling routines, your code must be full GPL.

Phil