This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: Removal of support for GCC hosted on UWIN
- To: Mark Mitchell <mark at codesourcery dot com>
- Subject: Re: Removal of support for GCC hosted on UWIN
- From: Andi Kleen <ak at muc dot de>
- Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2001 12:39:08 +0100
- Cc: gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org
- References: <20010109003917Q.email@example.com>
On Tue, Jan 09, 2001 at 09:42:41AM +0100, Mark Mitchell wrote:
> We've learned that the usage of GCC on U/WIN involves a violation of
> the GNU GPL, linking GCC with a non-free third-party support library;
> therefore, we have removed the support for such usage.
> Note that GCC is merely a special case: it is a violation of the GPL
> to link *any* GPL'd program with the U/WIN support library.
Why? On a U/WIN host the Uwin library is a system library (because U/WIN is the
system), and the GPL allows linking with proprietary system libraries.