Re: Removal of support for GCC hosted on UWIN

    >> Note that GCC is merely a special case: it is a violation of
    >> the GPL to link *any* GPL'd program with the U/WIN support
    >> library.

    Andi> Why? On a U/WIN host the Uwin library is a system library
    Andi> (because U/WIN is the system), and the GPL allows linking
    Andi> with proprietary system libraries.

I didn't make this decision -- I'm merely representing the FSF
in this regard, and doing my job as a GCC maintainer to carry out the
FSF's instructions.  So, it's possible that what I say will not
precisely represent the FSF.  For more details, you should contact the
FSF directly.

However, I believe the FSF does not agree with the core assumption in
your statement; namely, that U/WIN is an operating system.  Instead, I
think it is viewed simply as a program/library/set of programs that
run on Windows NT (which *is* an operating system).