Re: Ada policy

Zack Weinberg wrote:
Robert Dewar <dewar@gnat.com> writes:

Whereas I cannot imagine how you manage to miss what is a clear
implication of the text of that message.

The important point in the message is that it is critical that the C and Ada compiler be consistent, that is still very much the case (there may be isolated cases where this is not required but such combinations are never tested by us).

I'm willing to accept what you say now as a statement of a changed
policy, though.

Well I am glad that you see a perceived change that you find OK, there is in fact no change at all.

Just so things are clear, we start our nightly runs with several
different older versions of the compiler precisely to make sure we
retain as much compatibility with old versions as possible for
builds.

I am very glad to hear this.

This has been the case for a long time

 A further step forward would be to
state which older versions those are, what your policies are for
selecting those older versions, and when the set might change.