Re: Ada policy

Mike Stump wrote:

Primary languages and platforms should have them, they come in handy from time to time and help make the compiler more maintainable and help ensure a certain quality standard. Do no harm is really more interesting to a customer than a random bug fix that they don't hit, and by far, most code doesn't hit most bugs, therefore the greater good is to not fix the bug, if you can't also do the testcase to ensure that the customer won't hit the bug again...

Now, this is controversial, to be sure... and I'm not sure what should be required of other frontends... I'll abstain from that.

Of course in practice if the FSF version is kept very close to the AdaCore GNAT Pro version (which is what we try to achieve), then we run millions of lines of proprietary tests on every target every day, so indirectly you get the benefit of these tests anyway. If the trees diverge, then you lose this very valuable input.

On the other hand, if you never need to run the testsuite and never break any bugs, then, doing the testsuite is a complete waste of time. :-)