Ada policy (was: GCC 3.5 Status (2004-08-29))

On Mon, 2004-08-30 at 21:28, Florian Weimer wrote:
> I understand that Ada is already in much better shape than we expected
> it to be before the tree-ssa merge (and that's certainly good news!),
> but I really doubt we should make a release criterion the quality of a
> component that has received very little testing by the general GCC
> community.

I'm just talking about bootstrap, passing ACATS and no known regression
on two targets, not "quality" in general (whatever that means).

The scenario I want to avoid is that we first reach 100% ACATS pass on
the two targets (looks likely), then later a patch goes in that
introduces 20 ACATS regressions on those two targets and the patch is
not fixed or reverted following the usual rules for other components.

Is that what you want for Ada now? If not, why not spell it out clearly
to avoid discussions with no time left later on? Also
if this rule is not set now, I see no reason for it to be set later
then, and that's not good news for the GNU Compiler _Collection_
Ada-wise.

Laurent

PS: I have tested and will test again at work our 500 KSLOC software
with FSF CVS.