Re: gcc-ss-20011119 is now available

On Wed, Nov 21, 2001 at 07:31:06PM +0000, Joseph S. Myers wrote:

> The script would need to be made able to take its state (dates of previous
> two snapshots) from some directory other than ~.

Do that many people acutaly use the diff files vs. just downloading the
complete tar balls?

> > I would like to get 3.0.3-inprogress in more people's hands thru the
> > FreeBSD ports system, and right now there aren't any usable tarballs to
> > do this with.
>
> It's expected that serious development use (including people distributing
> any form of packaged version) is from CVS, not snapshots.

Yes, but this for distributing a packaged version (which includes
FreeBSD-specific patches that would never be accepted in to the FSF tree).

> You can always
> tag and build and distribute your own tarballs using the gcc_release
> script.

That is more effort than I am willing to put into this with all the other
open source things I do.  Especially when the frame work for making GCC
snapshots is alreadly [mostly] in place.

--
-- David  (obrien@FreeBSD.org)