gcc newsletter #14

hi all,

As usual, http://gccnews.chatta.us or bellow for a text-only version.

regards,
Mathieu

gcc release status
------------------

Of course, while I was away trying to fix the roof of my new apartment,
Mark Mitchell sent a new release status[0], froze[1] the 3.4 branch and
released the first release candidate[2] for gcc 3.4.3.

Giovanni Bajo would like to see a clearer release criateria[3] for gcc 4.x.

gcc development
functions. Everyone agrees that only serious extensions should be
integrated: this means that they need to be designed such that
interaction with other langage features are clearly defined and such
that they are compatible with the existing langage standard.

Despite a lot of rather depressing test results a few months ago, -O0
seems to be getting faster as shown by these results from Karel Gardas[8]
and from Richard Guenther[9].

The lengthy discussion (some would call that a flamewar) about the way
the Ada frontend is maintained has had some influence on the way the
Ada maintainers work since they have announced[10] that they will try
to follow more closely the gcc contribution rules.

An ambitious proposal on how to change the architecture of gcc has been
posted[11] by Geoff Keating. Of course, one could wonder[12] why LLVM
would not be used as a basis for such a work. Licensing might not be an
issue[13] so only the technical problems might need discussion but so far,
nothing constructive has been said about them.

The tree-ssa integration seems to draw[14] a few contributors interested
in new optimization passes.

[0] http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2004-10/msg01005.html
[1] http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2004-10/msg01257.html
[2] http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2004-11/msg00006.html