Re: debug container move patch

On 09/17/2010 11:11 PM, Paolo Carlini wrote:
On 09/17/2010 10:34 PM, François Dumont wrote:
Yes, there is indeed copy constructor from normal to debug but no
assignment operator however, an other problem! It is even when I saw
this copy constructor from normal container that I have started all
this reflection on interaction between debug and normal containers.
I think we should simply leave these constructors and assignment
operators alone, we have much more important work to do. For consistency
we could minimally add only "move constructor" from normal to the debug
mode containers, because we have already "copy constructor" from normal.
If you want to simplify your last patch to only do that I can approve
it. Not that I'm convinced people are going to heavily use that...

Paolo.
IMO we should stay on a pure technical level. libstdc++ lets you use both debug and normal containers at the same time and moreover debug containers inherit from normal ones. So libstdc++ users are able to do things like building normal containers from debug, even if it is source of problems sometimes, and thanks to some already added constructors they are able to do the opposite. Whether they are going to do so or not is secondary.

According what you say current situation do not seems to be intentional so I will do what you propose and submit a new patch with only added constructors. I simply hope that a decision will be taken on the kind of support that should be proposed between normal and debug worlds.

Regards