stringstreams?

Hi,
First of all I am new to egcs and its std C++ library. I hope you all
don't mind my questions here since I am not aware of any FAQ's etc.

1. Is the fifth snapshot of the libstdc++ usable? (In the sense that
   I just unzip the sources to my directory and I use them?)
2. basic_streambuf<>, basic_stringbuf<> I believe are avl but are
   stringstreams avl? (ostringstream, istringstream etc)
3. By when is the templatised iostreams likely to be completed?
4. Where can I get more info about libstdc++ of egcs? (More than that
   given on the web site)

Thanks in advance,
Shiv

P.S. Are there any prerequisites for contributing? If not as code then
as testing activity could I contribute?