This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
git conversion in progress
- From: Joseph Myers <joseph at codesourcery dot com>
- To: <gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org>
- Date: Sat, 11 Jan 2020 01:18:19 +0000
- Subject: git conversion in progress
- Ironport-sdr: p8flSHAePxBj47rty+910ERJjR2aGujlAVyBx8x6rVAYv/sNGBXQBlDdrkggwoZq35J0z4VXSH wfo8c5xbXhVUh1gd1hz4eud9SI40Nm47UvegmFm+DH9xeD4kD4L1YgAItzHf8K+skHlMPnZ5Ji 4a39MkwemaBESDrvlIJgO6xmBjN+300Lyvs6cUfrPBnhkJXMgUeiDQqp+GdKLZJvirgG+uv87b 1OO4VajZPXa6YQVyNtiARCf71vrj2glZfHaS9mRrfh+57+wyivL7gIbJCiZppeDONiXGsoK7YE fuo=
- Ironport-sdr: E9WDRWIEnO1xpXLqUJCQLAjxmx8G1fQaK1ZAR9R9tg44DDj63PChzxuryMTd3jCTSu9FPxXeev iqcS5vxC221Z0xtUGolQJqQNixm33ES0YYXX99I9IWFqntEvVCCEUDBw9+Mw3q0nU6hVTPC9KH 7+poMlOrfG1XjlLXqJOQw3iLBDxa8Of+yvudBWX1q08WXPS8zQOfSYdfNJ5IFk343kHU95Idhe jrpDjcMPbutbILDAXdzQkoxwVlae01lSjjCeIyIFxylv6YyDSXwModQJI3bY9DJBBz25emLgcV K4c=
The GCC SVN repository is now read-only for the move to git, as is the old
git-svn mirror; the cron job updating that mirror has been disabled, as
have gccadmin's cron jobs updating DATESTAMP, generating snapshots and
updating online documentation, until those are updated to work from git.
Assuming validation passes, I expect to make the converted repository
available in place of the git-svn mirror (git://gcc.gnu.org/git/gcc.git
and git+ssh://gcc.gnu.org/git/gcc.git) some time on Saturday. That will
be initially read-only to allow for people to review it in case any
significant conversion issues are noticed late that would justify
rerunning the conversion. I propose to make it writable on Monday, at
which point we'll be in development stage 4 for GCC 10 (and to leave
gcc-reposurgeon-8.git around for a while in case people wish to use that,
rather than the main repository, for any further testing, but to delete
the older test conversions 1 through 7). Some cron jobs may be re-enabled
before then, subject to testing (I have git changes to gcc_release ready,
for example, for testing snapshot generation), but the DATESTAMP updates
won't be enabled until the repository is writable.
I encourage people to continue to work on improving the documentation for
using git with GCC
<https://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-patches/2020-01/msg00625.html> list some of
the things that it seems it might be useful to document). Once the
conversion is done we'll need to update various places referring to SVN on
the website and in the manuals.
The old git-svn mirror will remain available read-only as
git://gcc.gnu.org/git/gcc-old.git (which is already available), in
addition to the refs from that mirror being in the new repository as
refs/git-old/heads/*, refs/git-old/tags/* and refs/git-svn-old/heads/*
(thus, gitweb links to commits in that repository will continue to work,
as long as those commits were reachable as of when git mirror went
read-only rather than having been on an old version of a branch that was
since deleted or rebased).
Where people have active branches in that mirror, I hope they will rebase
those branches onto the new version of the history, putting the results in
refs/heads/devel/* or refs/users/*/heads/* according to whether they are
considered generally shared development branches (can't have
non-fast-forward pushes, should be documented on the GCC website) or user
branches (can have non-fast-forward pushes, need not be documented).
Joseph S. Myers