From: Richard Biener <richard.guenther@gmail.com>
Sent: Friday, January 10, 2020 2:29 AM
To: Gary Oblock <goblock@marvell.com>
Cc: Jan Hubicka <hubicka@ucw.cz>; gcc@gcc.gnu.org <gcc@gcc.gnu.org>
Subject: Re: [EXT] Re: Comparing types at LTO time

On Thu, Jan 9, 2020 at 9:36 PM Gary Oblock <goblock@marvell.com> wrote:

> Richard,
>
> Alas, when doing structure reorg I have to be able to know some
> arbitrary use of variable X in some GIMPLE expression is of a
> type that needs to be transformed in that given expression. I see no
> way around this.

Sure, if you view it as it transforming a type.  I see it as transforming
the layout of a specific object so all you need to know is whether an
arbitrary memory access accesses the very object - which you could,
if you face accesses you can't analyze, even check at runtime to some
extent (worst case by providing a copy in/out to a temporary with the
old layout).

Richard.