Re: Moving to git

On Fri, 2015-08-21 at 16:09 +0200, Andreas Schwab wrote:
> Ramana Radhakrishnan <ramana.gcc@googlemail.com> writes:
>
> > On Fri, Aug 21, 2015 at 11:48 AM, Jonathan Wakely <jwakely.gcc@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Teams following a different model could use a separate repo shared by
> >> those developers, not the gcc.gnu.org one. It's much easier to do that
> >> with git.
> >
> > Yes you are right they sure can, but one of the reasons that teams are
> > doing their development on a feature branch is so that they can obtain
> > feedback and collaborate with others in the community.
>
> It is also much easier for others to pull from foreign repositories with
> git, so this isn't a severe downside.

It may be easy for git to pull from foreign repositories, but it may
be difficult/impossible (policy wise) for some developers from some
companies to be able to write to foreign repositories.  At IBM, we
cannot host our own source repositories that others can access.  We can
only write to the official source code repositories for the projects
that we have clearance to work in.  We currently have an IBM vendor
directory where we have our branches.  If we move to git (I'm all for
it), I would hope that those can remain in the official source code
repository.

That said, if the GCC project created an "official" side repository
where branches are stored, we could participate in that.

Peter