Moving to git

I hear that at Cauldron people were generally supportive of switching over to git as the primary GCC repository, and talked about me being involved in that transition. Does anyone have more information about this discussion?

Our current workflow translates over to a git master pretty easily: basically, in the current git-svn workflow, replace git svn rebase and git svn dcommit with git pull --rebase and git push.

It should be pretty straightforward to use the existing git mirror as the master repository; the main adjustment I'd want to make is rewriting the various subdirectory branches to be properly represented in git. This is straightforward, but we'll want to stop SVN commits to subdirectory branches shortly before the changeover.

It would be good to have a more explicit policy on branch/tag creation, rebasing, and deletion in the git world where branches are lighter weight and so more transient.

Jason