This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: [RFC] enabling -fshow-column by default
- From: "Joseph S. Myers" <joseph at codesourcery dot com>
- To: Ian Lance Taylor <iant at google dot com>
- Cc: Aldy Hernandez <aldyh at redhat dot com>, gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org
- Date: Wed, 20 May 2009 15:03:55 +0000 (UTC)
- Subject: Re: [RFC] enabling -fshow-column by default
- References: <20090520142305.GA14937@redhat.com> <firstname.lastname@example.org>
On Wed, 20 May 2009, Ian Lance Taylor wrote:
> When we have good caret diagnostics it would also be nice to enable them
> by default. However, that is a much bigger change. Does anybody have
> an opinion on that?
Yes, that tripling the size of output in a cascade of diagnostics is a bad
idea. Possibly disable them by default after the first few errors (or a
larger number of warnings) if enabled by default (not explicitly) up to
then? Also, work with the GNU Coding Standards maintainers on any
conventions for caret diagnostics in GNU software.
Joseph S. Myers