This is the mail archive of the
gcc@gcc.gnu.org
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: [RFC] enabling -fshow-column by default
- From: Ian Lance Taylor <iant at google dot com>
- To: Aldy Hernandez <aldyh at redhat dot com>
- Cc: gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org
- Date: Wed, 20 May 2009 07:44:52 -0700
- Subject: Re: [RFC] enabling -fshow-column by default
- References: <20090520142305.GA14937@redhat.com>
Aldy Hernandez <aldyh@redhat.com> writes:
> Before I merge the diagnostics branch I'd like to enable it on the
> testsuite to get us all in the habit of at least being aware of columns.
>
> Joseph Myers suggested enabling it in the compiler instead of the
> testsuite. Are there any big objections to this?
I agree in principle that we should enable -fshow-column by default.
Obviously, it will break some existing scripts, but I tend to think that
for something like this that is OK. Any scripts which break are already
slightly broken in that preprocessor error messages already display a
column number.
If you haven't already done so, please check that the emacs next-error
function is not affected by this.
When we have good caret diagnostics it would also be nice to enable them
by default. However, that is a much bigger change. Does anybody have
an opinion on that?
Ian