Re: no_new_pseudos

On Jul  8, 2007, Kenneth Zadeck <zadeck@naturalbridge.com> wrote:

> To be even more blunt, I never viewed no_new_pseudos as a useful abstraction
> It was a gate that protected a set of badly designed concrete
> datastructures.

I can appreciate that this is a valid point of view for the
implementation of the data structures.  But APIs are not designed only
for the implementation of the data structures.  APIs ought to be
geared toward the *users* of the implementation.  In this case, the
backend is one of the users, and no_new_pseudos provided it with a
meaningful way to test whether creating new pseudos was still
acceptable.  Replacing that with concepts that reflect internal
implementation details, rather than something that is meaningful for
the users of the API, is offering a worse API to the users.