Re: no_new_pseudos

On Jul  4, 2007, David Edelsohn <dje@watson.ibm.com> wrote:

>>>>>> Alexandre Oliva writes:
Alexandre> It's as mechanical as the change you proposed, except that yours
Alexandre> potentially loses information that would enable someone to recover
Alexandre> !BEFORE_RELOAD_P() out of the expanded version of no_new_pseudos.

> 	Except that no_new_pseudos was not used consistently.

I'm not sure what you mean by "consistently", but regardless, how
could any argument possibly make it better to replace it with

  (reload_in_progress || reload_completed)

rather than

  !BEFORE_RELOAD_P()

such that anyone willing to clean things up from this point on may
have to use complex grep patters to account for ongoing line breaks,
reformatting and any other boolean transformations, just because it
had to be expanded right away rather than retained as a macro?

What I'm proposing is just that, instead of

  s/no_new_pseudos/(reload_in_progress || reload_completed)/g

we use

  s/no_new_pseudos/!BEFORE_RELOAD_P ()/

or at least keep no_new_pseudos as a macro that can be easily grepped
for and doesn't break line length limits in current sources.

I'm not asking for any actual cleanups to be reverted, just that we
don't make it even harder to further clean it up.  If taking out one
of these three variables is good, taking out another of them is going
to be better, right?  Making it harder (or, more accurately, uglier)
to do so isn't helping.