Re: Converting GCC to compilation with C++

Gabriel Dos Reis wrote:

Mark Mitchell:

Nobody seemed to object with making modifications to the source so that
it could be compiled
with a C++ compiler, which is a first step in any event, so I think
people should feel free to proceed with that.

For now, it looks like we'll stick with ISO C.

So, in the end, is the idea of making the source code compilable
by a C++ compiler -- as opposed to using a subset of C++ -- out
of reach? Sorry for asking, but I can't have a clear idea -- it
looks like lots of ideas went in. I would welcome a clear
statement to that effect.

There is no definitive SC statement here -- no vote was taken.

However, my interpretation is that the SC feels that whether or not the source *can* be compiled by a C++ compiler is a technical issue for the GCC community to decide in the usual way. And, I think that people have expressed support for making that possible. So, I think that patches that make it possible to compile GCC with a C++ compiler are OK, provided that they don't have some other bad characteristic.

--
Mark Mitchell
CodeSourcery, LLC