Re: Solaris installation notes

Dimitri Papadopoulos-Orfanos wrote:
    [...] proceed as described in the build instructions,
    where we strongly recommend using GNU make and specifying
    an absolute path to invoke srcdir/configure.

The Solaris instructions are giving additional recommendations over the default instructions. The additions are use of GNU make and using an absolute path to srcdir/configure. The GNU make recommendation is obsolete, as gcc now requireds GNU make for all targets. I don't know of any reason why an absolute path to srcdir/configure is required. I use relative paths all of the time. Perhaps there is something about Solaris that requires an absolute path, in which case it makes sense to put this in the Solaris section.