Re: [cs branch] how to start compile server?

Mike Stump <mrs@apple.com> writes:

> I see where you're going...  Unfold gcc -server out of gcc.c/toplev.c,
> put it into a frontend that is short small and sweet that just does
> the communications over to the server.  Well, one disadvantage is that
> this would require a extra fork and exec to get to it, where as our
> scheme doesn't and with a fork and exec it would be about 3.5 faster,
> but without the fork and exec we'd run 7x faster.  So, we'd have to be
> willing to give up, upto 2x, to be clean in this way.

I don't know what you're measuring--I don't see how it could possibly
be seven times faster.  I also don't see how it could require a
fork/exec for each connection--you need an existing process to keep
your server state, since I assume you don't store it in the file
system.  It seems to me that the first connection would require a
fork/exec, and future connections would just be funneled through to
the existing server.

In any case, I'm not going to argue it further.  To me it seems like
an obviously superior design, which will save a lot of trouble down
the road.  But I'm not working on the project.

Ian