Global register variables (bugs #7871, #10684, and #11413)

There are various problems with global register variables in the 3.x
series, see for example bugs #7871, #10684, and #11413.  Code with
global register variables gets miscompiled.

I'm just wondering if anyone can give me an estimated fix schedule - is
there a chance that the problems might be addressed in 3.4?  I ask
because this is basically a blocker for our Haskell compiler
(http://www.haskell.org/ghc), which compiles via C using gcc.
Fortunately it doesn't seem to affect x86 (although that might be
accidental), but for all other architectures we're currently telling
people to stick with 2.95 until the register variable problems are
straightened out.

These bugs are all regressions from 2.95, but none of them are marked
with a 3.4 milestone.

Please don't take this as a criticism or a moan!  I'd just like to make
you guys aware of how important this feature is to some of us.

Cheers,
	Simon