Re: m68k - Dropping the Motorola syntax

Andreas Schwab <schwab@suse.de> writes:

> Ian Lance Taylor <ian@airs.com> writes:
>
> |> Using Motorola syntax is necessary from the gcc point of view, because
> |> for some reason gcc appears to only emit @PLTPC, etc., if MOTOROLA is
> |> defined.
>
> The original m68k PIC generation was designed for Sun3/a.out, which only
> worked with Sun as, not with GNU as, AFAIK.  This was using MIT syntax,
> probably because Sun as does only grok that.  Now that support for Sun3
> has been removed it would be possible to also remove support for non-ELF
> PIC, so that PIC support is independent of the assembler dialect.

I would say that PIC support ought to be independent of assembler
dialect anyhow.

(You are correct that GNU as does not support Sun3/a.out PIC.  I wrote
the linker support from first principles, but as I never had a Sun3,
it was never tested, and I never knew just how the assembler was
supposed to work.)

Ian