Re: RTL/tree (from gcc) and Scheme

On Sun, Aug 10, 2003 at 12:06:39PM -0700, Per Bothner wrote:
> Valery A.Khamenya wrote:
> >that's right. Trees and RTL are used for *compile-time* only now.
> >And here came my question: is it really *impossible* to change thing
> >and use RTL/tree in run-time?
>
> Of course it's not impossible.  But what's the point?  What do you
> mean by "using RTL/tree at run-time"?  What are you trying to do?

Take for example the folding of arithmetic operations:  one could
build trees and then use the folding for reducing them and finally
output the result.

I think that Valery is talking about a similar type of evaluation
through a graph rewriting system.  We already have the infrastructure
needed for rewriting systems.  I think also to the template instantiation
that makes use of similar rewriting systems on trees, but they are used
for the moment only at compile time.