Re: Successful Build, GCC 3.2, custom SMP Linux System

On Mon, Aug 19, 2002 at 01:49:19PM -0400, Scott Robert Ladd wrote:
> > > I just successfully built and installed gcc 3.2 on my Sun Ultra 10
> > > (UltraSPARC IIi, I believe), running Debian GNU/Linux 3.0r0.
> > >
> > > Galileo:~/work/build/gcc-3.2# ./config.guess
> > > sparc64-unknown-linux-gnu
> >
> > Thanks!  Your messages are linked from the GCC 3.2 build status list at
> > http://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-3.2/buildstat.html.
> >
> > The second was is listed as sparc-unknown-linux-gnu; let me know if I
> > got that wrong.
>
> If I build without specifying a target, configure assumes
> sparc-unknown-linux-gnu, and the make bootstrap fails with errors. To make
> the build work, I need to specify sparc-debian-linux on the configure
> command line; I assumed this was because Debian 3.0 is very new, and isn't
> recognized by the configuration scripts.

No, this is because your installation does not have a 64 bit userland
environment. The "unknown" vs. "debian" is not relevant here, as this
information is not used in any file. The relevant thing here is the
"64".

Robert

--
Robert Schiele			Tel.: +49-621-181-2517