Re: GCC 3.1 Release Criteria

On Fri, Mar 29, 2002 at 12:08:03PM -0500, Ahmed Abed wrote:
> I made this comment after reading the Release Criteria (I am not on any gcc
> mailing list and this document is all that I know on gcc 3.1 testing). I
> noticed how the Linux kernel stresses gcc in the Applications section, and I
> assumed this will be done on x86 platforms only.
>
> There is widespread use of gcc on embedded platforms running on PowerPC,
> hence adding the Linux kernel "Application" to the PowerPC tests would, in
> my opinion, make sense to make sure 3.1 can build an operating system
> cleanly. Furthermore, Apple promote GCC for their boxes so there more users
> out there.

It's very easy to add as many requirements to the release criteria at the whim
of anybody who asks for it.  However, for the most part, the GCC project is
made up of volunteers, with limited resources.
Are you volunteering to contribute time and resources to
test the GCC 3.1 branch by compiling the Linux kernel on PowerPC, and reporting
the results?

--
Craig Rodrigues
http://www.gis.net/~craigr