Re: GCC 3.1 Release Criteria

On Friday 29 March 2002 22:41, Craig Rodrigues wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 29, 2002 at 12:08:03PM -0500, Ahmed Abed wrote:
> > I made this comment after reading the Release Criteria (I am not on any
> > gcc mailing list and this document is all that I know on gcc 3.1
> > testing). I noticed how the Linux kernel stresses gcc in the Applications
> > section, and I assumed this will be done on x86 platforms only.
> >
> > There is widespread use of gcc on embedded platforms running on PowerPC,
> > hence adding the Linux kernel "Application" to the PowerPC tests would,
> > in my opinion, make sense to make sure 3.1 can build an operating system
> > cleanly. Furthermore, Apple promote GCC for their boxes so there more
> > users out there.
>
> It's very easy to add as many requirements to the release criteria at the
> whim of anybody who asks for it.  However, for the most part, the GCC
> project is made up of volunteers, with limited resources.
> Are you volunteering to contribute time and resources to
> test the GCC 3.1 branch by compiling the Linux kernel on PowerPC, and
> reporting the results?

Well, I'm doing that continously on powerpc-linux-gnu, but I haven't stepped
forward to do "official" gcc-3.1 testing cause I'm rather time-limited right
now and can't make any promises :-(.

Nevertheless I try to work on powerpc-linux-gnu as time permits and track and
fix bugs if possible. Current status is _very_ promising, it looks that at
gcc-3.1 release time, 3.1 will probably be the first choice gcc version on
powerpc-linux-gnu.

My local system is already mostly gcc-3.1 compiled, that includes packages
like current 2.4 kernel, glibc-2.2.5, XFree86-4.2.0 and dozens of other
packages. The only dark spot is currently qt3/kde3, cause qt3 gets
miscompiled (PR 6086).

Franz.