Re: Beyond GCC 3.0: Summing Up

Bernd writes:

> To come back to the start of the discussion: what I object to is an
> _automatic_ reversion policy for the mainline.  (Any policy that
> could be enforced by a computer isn't intelligent enough :-)

I agree with you that reversions should not be automatic.

> [1] Some regressions we do not even care about.  So what if romp
>     doesn't build?

Agreed, we should only care about primary platforms.  One issue (and
the one that's blocking your patch, if I understand correctly) is that
we have no MIPS maintainer.  If we had one, and s/he agreed with your
analysis and agreed to fix the MIPS backend, we could take your changes
and have some hope of eventually having MIPS working again.  So it seems
that the major blockage is that we have an important back end with no
maintainer.

I think that we can accept breakage in the trunk if we have a plan and a
volunteer to fix the breakage quickly.  In that case it is temporary.