Re: Beyond GCC 3.0: Summing Up

On Tue, Jul 10, 2001 at 12:34:22PM -0400, Richard Kenner wrote:
>     Unless you are planning to rebuild a whole Linux/xxxBSD distribution
>     with the new gcc
>
> I certainly think that would be a good starting point for the testing of
> the follow-on releases.  It's probably not enough, but I would certainly
> want to see that done before any release.

I can tell that right now, it is not an easy job to do. It takes more
resources you can image. Why not let Linux/xxxBSD distribution vendors
do it for us. The only thing we have to do is to make frequent bug fix
releases to fix the regressions they have found. But if it takes a
few months for a bug fix, I don't think any Linux/xxxBSD distribution
vendors will try the new gcc to build their whole distribution. They
need a responsive compiler provider.

H.J.