This is the mail archive of the
gcc@gcc.gnu.org
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: Need graph coloring code
- To: Michael Meissner <meissner at cygnus dot com>
- Subject: Re: Need graph coloring code
- From: David Edelsohn <dje at watson dot ibm dot com>
- Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2001 21:27:06 -0500
- cc: Igor Markov <imarkov at umich dot edu>, gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org
>>>>> Michael Meissner writes:
Michael> But the problem is IBM *patented* the use of graph coloring for register
Michael> allocation, which trumps copyright.
The problem is whether one can implement a graph coloring register
allocator without accidentally infringing on one of IBM's many patents in
the field.
I personally have been trying to get IBM to release the graph
coloring patent for use in GCC for many years. I also have been trying to
get IBM to help with Daniel's recent initiative.
If there has been no feedback from IBM by the time that Daniel and
others have something ready which can be contributed to and integrated
into GCC (not just theoretical), I will escalate the issue.
David