This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: Need graph coloring code
- To: Igor Markov <imarkov at umich dot edu>
- Subject: Re: Need graph coloring code
- From: Daniel Berlin <dberlin at redhat dot com>
- Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2001 21:23:47 -0500 (EST)
- cc: Michael Meissner <meissner at cygnus dot com>, <gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org>
On Mon, 22 Jan 2001, Igor Markov wrote:
> I am no patent attorney, but it appears to me that
> IBM could only patent a specific way to use of graph coloring
> for register allocation, not the very idea to use graph coloring for it.
Rice has a patent on Brigg's optimistic register allocator (1993), which
is like the IBM one, with different heuristics.
IBM's patent actually runs out in 2003 anyway.