This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Deprecate i386 for GCC 4.8?
- From: Steven Bosscher <stevenb dot gcc at gmail dot com>
- To: GCC Mailing List <gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org>
- Cc: Uros Bizjak <ubizjak at gmail dot com>
- Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2012 19:01:56 +0100
- Subject: Deprecate i386 for GCC 4.8?
Linux support for i386 has been removed. Should we do the same for GCC?
The "oldest" ix86 variant that'd be supported would be i486.
The benefit would be a few good cleanups:
* PROCESSOR_I386 / TARGET_386 can be removed
* X86_TUNE_DOUBLE_WITH_ADD can be removed (always true)
* X86_ARCH_CMPXCHG/X86_ARCH_XADD/X86_ARCH_BSWAP can be removed.
* The only ix86 variant without lock-free atomic int support goes
away, which probably allows for a few more cleanups in some of the
Not much, but something is more than nothing :-)