This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: Deprecate i386 for GCC 4.8?
- From: "Joseph S. Myers" <joseph at codesourcery dot com>
- To: Steven Bosscher <stevenb dot gcc at gmail dot com>
- Cc: GCC Mailing List <gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org>, Uros Bizjak <ubizjak at gmail dot com>
- Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2012 23:26:11 +0000
- Subject: Re: Deprecate i386 for GCC 4.8?
- References: <CABu31nNt-DtF3r9csE9vKcN=DgnKpaHgf3cNx8ugOCfxqd8n1g@mail.gmail.com>
On Wed, 12 Dec 2012, Steven Bosscher wrote:
> Linux support for i386 has been removed. Should we do the same for GCC?
FWIW, glibc hasn't really supported i386 for several years (at least with
the Linux kernel; I don't know about Hurd), since NPTL requires atomic
operations that i386 doesn't have, so fails to link unless you use
-march=i486 or later.
Joseph S. Myers