How to do bootstrap build on OSX to get gcj?

Andi Vajda andi@osafoundation.org
Fri Sep 22 17:46:00 GMT 2006

On Fri, 22 Sep 2006, Mike Purdy wrote:

> Please excuse these basic questions, but I'm rather new to this.  I did
> retrieve the .diff file with the patches, but don't know what to do with it.
> Is there an automated method to make the changes in the diff, or should it
> be done manually in the source?

The message at http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/java/2006-05/msg00151.html says to apply
them to a stock 4.0.2 source tree. To do so, download a 4.0.2 source tarball,
unpack it, and apply the patches from the directory that contains the
gcc-4.0.2 directory with 'patch -Nup0 < gcc-4.0.2-osx.diff' and then, follow
the usual build procedures.

> Second, this is a good opportunity for me to learn about trunks.  If the
> patches were applied already to the trunk, as Tom mentioned, does that mean
> that they are only in a previous version?  Thus, they would have to be
> reapplied to a newer source tree after proper testing?

The 'trunk' means the main gcc development trunk, at the moment, that is gcc
4.2.0, I believe.

Andi..