JET?

Adam Megacz gcj@lists.megacz.com
Sat Oct 12 00:47:00 GMT 2002

Cedric Berger <cedric@wireless-networks.com> writes:
> Makes you think that they have a Static+JIT (or interpreter) model
> like GCJ which fully implements the java model - so no problem
> including Sun classes.  Cedric

I doubt that -- their main claim to fame is shrinking the download
size (ie not requiring the JRE) -- but if you support runtime loaded
classes, you have to have the *entire* JRE library around, since you
don't know what classes/methods might be needed at runtime.

If this is the case, you can probably disable the runtime classloader
(and drop the 10MB of class files), but that's something that I think
we agree Sun isn't too happy with (a partial Java implementation).  So
I'm still puzzled about where they're getting their JRE library from.

Of course, all this is total speculation... I guess what we really
need is to hear from somebody who's used the product.

  - a

--
"Through your rags I see your vanity"  -- Socrates