successful(?) build of libjava on mips-sgi-irix6.5

Alexandre Oliva aoliva@redhat.com
Tue Feb 12 06:56:00 GMT 2002

On Feb 11, 2002, Rainer Orth <ro@TechFak.Uni-Bielefeld.DE> wrote:

> from that single object file.  This may run into an IRIX ld problem

> 	http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2001-06/msg01472.html

> which (according to the IRIX 6 dso(5) man page, FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS,
> 22.) can be avoided by creating the shared object from several smaller
> object files instead of one large one.

I'm sure you realize that creating a list of several smaller object
files may not be an option if you have large enough a number of them.
I.e., any such solution implemented in libtool wouldn't be enough in
the general case, and it appears to me that it would be *way* more
complicated than the current implementation to deal with the case of
the list of reloaded object files getting larger than what fits in a
single command line.

> I think I tried doing this manually in the past, but never got around to
> provide a proper bug report or patch for this problem.

Either one would surely be appreciated in one of the libtool mailing
lists :-)  With some preference for the latter :-)