egcs 1.1 error under Linux

Matthew Newhook matthew@ooc.com
Sat Sep 5 06:39:00 GMT 1998

On Sat, Sep 05, 1998 at 07:42:00AM -0400, Alex Buell wrote:
> On Fri, 4 Sep 1998, Jeffrey A Law wrote:
>
> >   >   Also, is it just my imagination or is egcs 1.1 slower than 1.0.3a?
> > We'd need a testcase :-)
> >
> > It's certainly possible since egcs-1.1 includes a global cse pass
> > which egcs-1.0.3 did not have.
>
> I was confused by his statement; did he mean that the generated code is
> slower *OR* did he mean that the compiler is slower to generate code? :o)

I mean that the compiler is slower to generate code than egcs 1.0.3.

> I'm all for anything that can generate faster/smaller code, even if it
> takes a little bit longer.

For me this depends. When I develop I want fast compiles, and I don't
care if the code is particularly slow. If I want fast code then I'll
compile with optimization, then I don't care how slow the compiler is.

> Cheers,
> Alex
> --
>  /\_/\  Legalise cannabis now!
> ( o.o ) Grow some cannabis today!
>  > ^ <  Peace, Love, Unity and Respect to all.
>
> http://www.tahallah.demon.co.uk

Best Regards, Matthew
--
Matthew Newhook				E-Mail: mailto:matthew@ooc.com