Compiling gcc-4.1.2 on 64-bit Ubuntu machines

Kai Ruottu kai.ruottu@wippies.com
Tue Jan 25 10:59:00 GMT 2011


25.1.2011 12:31, Olumide kirjoitti:

> On 20/01/2011 17:24, Olumide wrote:
>> Good news.
>>
>> Build was successful -- I think, here's the log file http://goo.gl/SnKsP
>>
>> (I had to compiled and install textinfo version 4.9 and install the
>> latest version ncurses in order to compile texinfo.)

IMHO getting the 'info' docs nowadays isn't in any way important, but
getting PDF-format manuals would be. Years ago I manually did them
using 'pdftex' on some old RHL7.3 or 8.0 but whether that would succeed
somehow nowadays is unclear :(  Maybe I'm living in a totally different
planet when needing (printable when needed) PDF docs for everything...

> I would like to roll out the build to other machines (several dozen
> actually).

If I remember right, the goal was to get "plugins" for some AutoDesk
(Maya?) system which was made on/for RHEL4 which had gcc-4.1.2 as its
"system GCC". So the ultimate goal would be a (cross) "toolchain for
RHEL4 target with gcc-4.1.2".

But the original RHEL4 glibc etc. target libs are not freely available,
so what on earth to do?

   - try the "native" glibc etc. in the own development platform?
or
   - build a crosstoolchain with gcc-4.1.2 and with some freely
     available "very near" RHL4 target libraries like some CentOS
     ones? (Which ones for this case? CentOS5.x has gcc-4.1.2 and
     glibc-2.5 that I know...)

I myself would choose the latter and then produce the crosstoolchain
once, as "self-hosting" - built for the virtual "RHL4" host with the
"stage1" GCC built first using the native GCC on the development
platform. And then make a tarball for this "gcc-4.1.2 for RHEL4" and
install it onto all those several dozen platforms...



More information about the Gcc-help mailing list