Compiling gcc-4.1.2 on 64-bit Ubuntu machines

Jonathan Wakely jwakely.gcc@gmail.com
Tue Jan 25 10:59:00 GMT 2011

On 25 January 2011 10:31, Olumide wrote:

> I would like to roll out the build to other machines (several dozen
> actually). I've tried copying the entire hierarchy (source and build) to the
> target machines and then running make install but I'm getting the error
> message (I'd appreciate help solving this problem -- thanks):

The problem is that "make install" checks if it needs to rebuild, and
notices that system headers and other things have changed.

Don't do it that way, instead use "DESTDIR"

http://www.gnu.org/prep/standards/html_node/DESTDIR.html

This allows you to copy the entire installed tree (not the source and
build trees) to a temporary staging area, from where it can be
packaged up into an archive, then extracted on the destination
machines.