Info, warning, and error messages using gcc
Manuel López-Ibáñez
lopezibanez@gmail.com
Mon Sep 27 16:00:00 GMT 2010
On 25 September 2010 03:05, Ian Lance Taylor <iant@google.com> wrote:
> Edward Diener <eldlistmailingz@tropicsoft.com> writes:
>
>> On 9/24/2010 8:37 PM, Ian Lance Taylor wrote:
>>> Edward Diener<eldlistmailingz@tropicsoft.com> writes:
>>>
>>>> Where can I find the docs on info, warning, and error messages emitted
>>>> by gcc when compiling, linking etc. ?
>>>>
>>>> The main documentation for gcc either does not have it or I can not
>>>> find it amidst the topics.
>>>
>>> There is no list of gcc messages in the documentation. Sorry.
>>
>> So how is someone to determine what a particular message means when it
>> is not apparent from the message itself ? Ask here each time ?
>
> Yes, or do a web search.
>
> I agree that it would be a good idea to have such documentation.
> However, the reality is that gcc is a free software project and the list
> would rapidly get out of date. The only way to maintain such a list
> would be to have a dedicated volunteer willing and able to create the
> list in the first place and keep it up to date as the compiler changes.
>
> Of course, ideally the message should be clear without reference to the
> documentation. When you find an error message to be particularly
> perplexing, I would strongly encourage you to file a bug report or send
> a patch, especially if you can think of a way to phrase it better.
>
I also added this answer to the FAQ:
http://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/FAQ#diagnostics_list
Cheers,
Manuel.
More information about the Gcc-help
mailing list