Info, warning, and error messages using gcc

Ian Lance Taylor iant@google.com
Sat Sep 25 09:10:00 GMT 2010

Edward Diener <eldlistmailingz@tropicsoft.com> writes:

> On 9/24/2010 8:37 PM, Ian Lance Taylor wrote:
>> Edward Diener<eldlistmailingz@tropicsoft.com>  writes:
>>
>>> Where can I find the docs on info, warning, and error messages emitted
>>> by gcc when compiling, linking etc. ?
>>>
>>> The main documentation for gcc either does not have it or I can not
>>> find it amidst the topics.
>>
>> There is no list of gcc messages in the documentation.  Sorry.
>
> So how is someone to determine what a particular message means when it
> is not apparent from the message itself ? Ask here each time ?

Yes, or do a web search.

I agree that it would be a good idea to have such documentation.
However, the reality is that gcc is a free software project and the list
would rapidly get out of date.  The only way to maintain such a list
would be to have a dedicated volunteer willing and able to create the
list in the first place and keep it up to date as the compiler changes.

Of course, ideally the message should be clear without reference to the
documentation.  When you find an error message to be particularly
perplexing, I would strongly encourage you to file a bug report or send
a patch, especially if you can think of a way to phrase it better.

Ian