slow execution speed when compared against visual c++

Andrea 'fwyzard' Bocci fwyzard@inwind.it
Sat Jan 4 16:39:00 GMT 2003

At 23.43 03/01/2003 -0700, Marco Satyro wrote:
>Dear GCC Help
>
>I am considering converting a very large project from Visual C++ to GCC.
>This project does lots of scientific computations and therefore the
>execution speed is very important. I am doing the development on a Pentium
>4 running Windows XP, and I wrote a little program to test the execution
>speed. I installed gcc using cygwin and wrote the program using the
>bloodshed IDE. The program and makefile are attached
>
>I set the optimization flag to -O3, but I am getting an execution speed
>480 times slower than when I use Visual C++. It seems like gcc is using
>some kind of floating point emulation instead of using the actual hardware
>math.

I made some tests using both MSVC++ 6.0 (w/ latest patches) and cygwin GCC 3.2.
I'm using Windows XP SP1 on an Athlon 900.
The test file is attached below.

MSVC++ used with standard options, with
Release mode
Optimized for speed
Optimized for pentium pro

GCC used with
1.) -lm -O2 -std=c99
2.) -lm -O2 -std=c99 -march=athlon -mfpmath=sse -malign-double -mmmx -msse
-m3dnow
3.) -lm -O2 -std=c99 -march=athlon -mfpmath=sse -malign-double -mmmx -msse
-m3dnow -ffast-math

GCC used targetting mingw with the above plus
-mno-cygwin

I run the resultin exe 10 times, taking the faster values

MSVC++  1.772 s
GCC 1.) 2.774 s
GCC 2.) 2.673 s
GCC 3.) 2.303 s
MinGW 1.)       2.804 s
MinGW 2.)       2.693 s
MinGW 3.)       2.323 s

So it looks that using ctgwin or mingw is about the same, about 30% slower
than MSCV++ generated code. Ops...
BTW, I tried removing the -lm switch from the last MinGW builds, and the
run time jumped up to 7.080 s ! Don't ask...

So, GCC doesn't look to SO good rom this small benchmark, but not SO bad,.
also.

fwyzard